I’ve been trying to perfect a creamy mushroom sauce over the past few months, and this has been my best attempt so far! I’ve found that nutmeg sets the flavours off perfectly, and gives this recipe the Autumn-y feel that I often crave at this time of year. As always the flavours in this recipe are to my taste and can be adjusted for your own.
Tesco’s gluten free Tagliatelle
6 button mushrooms
Three dessert spoons of gluten free plain flour
1/2 pint of vegetable stock
1/4 pint of milk/cream (I use skimmed milk to keep the calorie count low, but if you prefer a creamier sauce, it’s your choice – remember to take this into account with the sauce’s thickness and perhaps adjust the flour if you’re using heavy cream).
Grated nutmeg (to taste)
Dried Oregano (to taste)
Dried Sage (to taste)
Salt and pepper
- Boil a pan of water and add the tagliatelle once it has boiled. Chop the mushrooms.
- In a pan, heat some olive oil and cook the mushrooms. Once they’re cooked turn down the heat and add the flour. Mix into a paste and then add the stock. Stir until the flour starts to mix with the stock.
- Turn up the heat until the sauce starts to thicken. Add the nutmeg, oregano, sage, salt and pepper.
4. Simmer the sauce until it starts to reduce down and then add the milk.
5. Continue to stir until it thickens to a creamy texture.
6. Once the tagliatelle is cooked, drain and add it into the frying pan with sauce. Mix it together and then serve immediately. Top with a sprinkling of cheddar if desired and serve with Schar’s ciabatta’s topped with green pesto!