If I’m truthful, I was a terrible baker even before I became gluten free. Now, if anything, I’m worse! BUT – I wanted to have a go at some gluten free Christmassy biscuits, and I’m very pleased with how they turned out.
These just happen to be dairy free and vegan too – I always use sunflower spread in the place of butter for baking as I prefer it’s texture. If you would rather use a soya spread or even unsalted butter, the amount will stay the same!
Please be aware that cooking times will vary. The cutters are used are from Lakeland and can be found here.
55g sunflower spread/margarine
30g caster sugar
80g gluten free plain flour (I use ASDA’s own)
1 dessert spoon of warm water
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons of ground mixed spice
A sprinkling of grated nutmeg
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4. Chop the pecans.
- Measure the ingredients and then place the sunflower spread and caster sugar into a bowl. Make sure the sunflower spread is at room temperature and then cream the spread and sugar together.
- Sieve the flour and spices into the mixture and combine with a spoon. Slowly add the pecans and mix together.
- Once the mixture begins to combine, use your hands to create a ball. Wrap in cling film and place into the fridge for half an hour.
- Take the ball out of the fridge and place on a floured surface. Roll out to an even thickness and use the cutters. Place the shapes onto baking trays covered with baking paper.
- Place the larger stars onto the top shelf and the smaller stars onto the bottom shelf. Cook for 15 minutes approx or until golden brown!