My mum used to make this a lot when I was a child but we always called it “potato pie” as my 5 year old tongue couldn’t quite get the hang of the French! This decadent side dish is naturally gluten free and vegetarian. The original calls for cream but I prefer to just use milk.
Like all of my recipes, this is allium free to accommodate for IBS. Whilst this is rather a large deviation from tradition, it is a necessary one for those of us who suffer from this condition. If you are able to eat alliums, add minced or chopped garlic to the milk before pouring over the potatoes.
This recipe makes two side portions (why not use as a side to my Cashew Roast?).
150ml of milk (I would highly recommend using whole milk. If using cream use 50ml of cream and 100ml of milk)
2-3 large potatoes, sliced thinly
Grated nutmeg, to taste
Salt and black pepper
*OPTIONAL* 30g of grated Gruyere cheese (cheddar also works well if you do not have Gruyere)
- Add the grated nutmeg. salt and pepper to the milk and leave to infuse.
- Peel the potatoes and slice into 1/2cm thick discs. Layer into an ovenproof dish.
- Pour the milk over the top of the potatoes, making sure they are covered by the liquid.
- Cook covered by foil for 40 minutes on gas mark 7. Test the potatoes with a knife. Top with the cheese and place back into the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve as part of a roast or as a side for another dish!
Recipes every Monday, blog posts every Friday! See the previous Monday’s recipe here.
Youtube: The Gluten Free Veggie – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-b7T1VFTZqYq15aPvdlNwA
E-mail your questions or suggestions to: email@example.com