It’s that time of year again when the leaves are turning, the days are getting shorter, and all I want to do is snuggle up on the sofa with a blanket and a book. What better way to enjoy the autumnal weather than with a bowl of crumble – warm, comforting and delicious!
This is one of the first recipes I learned to cook after my diagnosis, it’s really easy and the total prep time only takes about 15 minutes. You can substitute the pears for different fruits – I particularly like doing this recipe with plums.
The crumble topping does include gluten free oats, some coeliacs can’t tolerate oats, if you’re one of them feel free to leave them out – it tastes just as good without!
For the filling
4 tbsp caster sugar
Knob of butter
For the crumble
160g plain GF four
50g ground almonds
50g GF oats (optional)
70g caster sugar
- Peel the pears and remove the cores. Cut them into equal pieces, and place them with the butter and sugar in a saucepan on a low heat until they begin to slightly soften. This should take between 5-10 minutes.
- While the pears are cooking, find yourself a decent sized mixing bowl and rub the butter and flour together until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. This is easier with a block of butter, as the texture is firmed. Then stir in the almonds, caster sugar and oats.
- Carefully place the pears at the bottom of a medium sized oven proof dish, and sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the sides are bubbling. If the top starts to catch, cover it with some kitchen foil.
- Serve with cream or custard!
Lucy is a contributing author at The Gluten Free Veggie. She is a 29 year old vegetarian Coeliac with a passion for great recipes! Check out all of her posts here. When she’s not cooking up delicious treats, Lucy is creating greetings cards for her business. Check out her Facebook page here.
Recipes every Monday, blog posts every Friday! See the previous Monday’s recipe here.
Youtube: The Gluten Free Veggie – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-b7T1VFTZqYq15aPvdlNwA
E-mail your questions or suggestions to: email@example.com