Enjoy our free content? Want to win gluten free food and prizes? See our Patreon for more info and exclusive content!
Arancini are risotto balls – you can use any filling you like but I think the creaminess of the ricotta adds to the appeal of this delicious dish. I’ve yet to find a gluten free version of these readily available to buy, and whilst they can be tricky (and messy!) to make from scratch, they are really worth it!
These are traditionally deep fried but I prefer to bake them.
Ingredients (to make 4-6 balls):
For the risotto:
80g of risotto rice
200ml of stock (added ladle by ladle, so you may use less)
50g of finely chopped spinach (so that it mixes into the risotto better)
50g of ricotta
1/4 of a teaspoon of nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
For the tomato dipping sauce:
6 baby plum tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon of tomato puree
20ml of passata
Dried oregano and basil
Salt and pepper to taste
For the breading:
50g of gluten free breadcrumbs
20ml of milk
2 tablespoons of flour
- Make the risotto (you can follow general instructions here.) Stir the ricotta and spinach in once the rice is cooked and just before turning off the heat. Allow to cool until you are able to handle it. Be careful not to rush this – you don’t want to burn your hands!
- Prepare your breading stations – in one flat bowl mix the flour and milk together to form a batter and in another place the breadcrumbs. Have a tray lined with greaseproof paper ready and your oven pre-heated to gas mark 7. For best results brush or spray the paper with a light coating of oil – that way your balls will brown on all sides and the breading on the bottom won’t stick/come off.
- Form evenly sized balls and roll into the batter and breadcrumbs. For best results do a double coating.
- Place each ball onto the tray. Once you have coated every ball, place into the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until brown, turning halfway to get an even colour.
- Whilst the balls are in the oven, lightly cook the diced tomatoes in a pan. Once they are softened, add the other ingredients for your sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Serve whilst still warm.
Recipes every Monday, blog posts every Friday! See the previous Monday’s post here.
- For $1 a month receive a newsletter with an exclusive sneak peak at what is coming up on the blog.
- For $3 a month you will get an exclusive recipe each month!
- For $7 a month you will be entered into a monthly giveaway. The randomly chosen winner will receive a giftbox of gluten free goodies!
If you are generous enough to give us $20 a month we will send you a box of gluten free goodies inc. a fun kitchen utensil!
Youtube: The Gluten Free Veggie
E-mail your questions or suggestions to: email@example.com