Whilst I typically have a slice of my nut roast as part of my Christmas dinner, these sausage rolls are the perfect festive alternative!
You can also make these to take along to Christmas parties, buffets and other family occasions during the festive season.
200g of mushrooms
180g of chestnuts – pre-cooked and peeled (I bought these ones)
50g of breadcrumbs (BFree make a gluten free vegan bread)
10ml of stock
ASDA Free From pastry (or any puff pastry you like! This is already rolled and so very easy to use!)
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons of yeast extract
Dried herbs of choice (I find sage, thyme and oregano work well)
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegan milk of choice for the milk wash
- Roughly chop the mushrooms and fry with the herbs, salt and pepper and nutmeg.
- Heat the stock in a pan with the bay leaves, cloves and yeast extract.
- Pulse three slices of bread in a food processor and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms,chestnuts and stock to a food processor and blitz until smooth. Add more herbs and yeast extract to taste if needed.
- In a mixing bowl add the pate mixture to the breadcrumbs, combining as evenly as possible.
- Lay out the pastry and place a line of the mixture about an inch wide and half an inch tall into the centre of the pastry.
- Brush some of the vegan milk onto one side of the pastry and fold over. Crimp with a fork.
- Lay a sheet of baking paper onto a tray and preheat the oven to gas mark 6.
- Cut the roll into even pieces – you should get about 8-10 sausage rolls. You may need to wipe your knife in between each cut as the mixture can be sticky.
- Lay out each slice and cut a line into the top of each to let the steam out and encourage the pastry to puff. Brush some vegan milk over the top of each.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Recipes every Monday, blog posts every Friday! See the previous Monday’s recipe here.
Youtube: The Gluten Free Veggie
E-mail your questions or suggestions to: email@example.com